Wednesday, December 3, 2008

trail of tears

it's no secret: i love the art that chris johanson makes. i went to see his show in new york a few months ago and i will admit that it was one of the most personally moving and epic art experiences of my life. i feel lucky that not only is one of my favorite painters alive at the same time that i am, but that i got to see an amazing, important show of his in real life. it made me feel things i forgot about. like i was a caveman who got unfrozen.
while i was there i creeped around and got really into the way he signs the back of his paintings. drawing is drawing is drawing and it's the lines that always make me crazy. dig it:










4 comments:

Mystic Friendsy said...

why did this blow my mind so much?

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ said...

hey nat, i'm a big fan of your art and was wondering if i could get you to do a mix trade thing with my friends and i for '09. sort of weird asking in your comments. write me if you are interested. no offense at all if you are not.
take care, adam c. sanfrantastic (at) gmail (dot) com

nathaniel russell said...

it blew your mind because it's kind of like looking up somebody's skirt at a hidden secret tattoo on their buns. signature voyeurism!

Sheabones said...

that's so rad. i remember when that dude used to work at double rainbow in los gatos with my pal don. the three of us would talk about how rad g.s.d. is while ransacking the mint chip. GSD!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qgjg8DyYyo